Sixty-five years ago today, King George VI of the United Kingdom died and his daughter succeeded him as Queen Elizabeth II. At the time, she was 25-years-old, had been married for four years, and had two young children. She was in Kenya on her way to a tour of Australia and New Zealand with her husband when she found out her father died.
Here are some other interesting facts and figures about The Queen:
- She has had 13 Prime Ministers
- She has conferred over 405,000 honors and awards
- She has personally held over 610 Investitures
- She and the Duke of Edinburgh have the longest marriage of a British Sovereign
- She is the oldest British monarch (Queen Victoria is 2nd at 81 years, 243 days)
- She is the longest-serving current Head of State.
- On September 9, 2015, she surpassed Queen Victoria as the longest serving British monarch.