by Scott Mehl
Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark, Margravine of Baden
- Princess Margarita (1905) – married Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, had issue
- Princess Cecilie (1911) – married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, had issue
- Princess Sophie (1914) – married (1) Prince Christoph of Hesse, had issue; (2) Prince Georg Wilhelm of Hanover, had issue
- Prince Philippos (1921) – married Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, had issue
Raised primarily in Greece, Theodora and her family had to leave Greece several times due to the political unrest and repeated overthrow of the monarchy. They spent several years living in Switzerland and later settled outside of Paris. After her mother suffered a nervous breakdown in 1930, Theodora and her sisters were quickly married, all into formal German royal families.
On August 17, 1931, Theodora married Berthold, Margrave of Baden. He was the son of Maximilian, Margrave of Baden and Princess Marie Luise of Hanover. The couple was second cousins through their mutual descent from King Christian IX of Denmark. They took up residence at Schloss Salem had three children:
- Princess Margarita of Baden (1932) – married Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia, had issue
- Maximilian, Margrave of Baden (1933) – married Archduchess Valerie of Austria, had issue
- Prince Ludwig of Baden (1937) – married Princess Anna Maria von Auersperg-Breunner, had issue
In her later years, Princess Theodora spent time with her children and grandchildren and made occasional visits to England to see her brother Philip and his family. At just 63 years old, she died in Büdingen in Hesse on October 16, 1969, just five weeks before the death of her mother. She was buried alongside her husband in the family cemetery in Salem.