In the process of being revised
King Christian X was born on September 26, 1870 at the Charlottenlund Palace in Gentofte Kommune near Copenhagen, Denmark. He was the eldest of the eight children of King Frederik VIII of Denmark and Princess Louise of Sweden, daughter of King Carl XV of Sweden.
Christian had seven siblings:
- King Haakon VII of Norway, born Prince Carl (1872 – 1957), married Princess Maud of Wales, had one son King Olav V of Norway
- Princess Louise of Denmark (1875 – 1906), married Prince Frederick of Schaumburg-Lippe, had issue
- Prince Harald of Denmark (1876 – 1949), married Princess Helena Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, had issue
- Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (1878 – 1958), Prince Carl of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland, had issue including Märtha Louise, Crown Princess of Norway and Astrid, Queen of the Belgians
- Princess Thyra of Denmark (1880 – 1945), unmarried
- Prince Gustav of Denmark (1887 – 1944), unmarried
- Princess Dagmar of Denmark (1890 – 1961), married Jørgen Castenskiold, had issue
Christian married Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, daughter of Grand Duke Frederick Francis III of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna of Russia, in Cannes, France on April 26, 1898. The couple had two sons.
- King Frederick IX of Denmark (1899–1972), married Princess Ingrid of Sweden, had issue including Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
- Hereditary Prince Knud (1900–1976), married Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark, had issue
In 1940, during World War II, Germany occupied Denmark. Unlike King Haakon VII of Norway (Christian’s brother, born Prince Carl of Denmark) and Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, both of whom went into exile during German occupation of their countries, King Christian remained in Denmark. He is remembered for his daily horse ride without a guard through the streets of Copenhagen during the Nazi occupation of Denmark, a symbol of Danish sovereignty.
King Christian X died at Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen on April 20, 1947 at age 76 and is buried in the Glücksburger Chapel at Roskilde Cathedral.
Check out other royal dates posted daily on our forum.